Friday, October 10, 2014

Making money and having tax write offs for your prepping tools

Are you having a hard time finding money for your prepping tools/equipment?

What are you good at? Try to turn that into a business in Hawaii and use the tax write offs the Government provides to business.

I have been a licensed handyman for the last 4 to 5 years and I have a General Excise Tax (GET) Number from Hawaii and I pay GET to the State every month, or every 6 months depending on how much money you make, and according to my tax adviser, I can write off the tools I need to do my job.

Generator to power tools or air guns when working off site. Those tools and air guns as well can be a business expense. Gas cans for those generators and yard tools as well.

Chain Saws? Ladders for painting or drywall work. Flashlights and batteries for those flashlights.
Files, grinders, Hammers, tools, axe, shovels, garden tools (I also took the UH Master Gardener Class, maybe you can write that off if it helps with your business, think yard maintenance/landscaping). Storage shed to store your tools.

The Federal Government provides about 55 cents a mile reimbursement for gas if you use your own truck/van/car for the business, you just have to keep a log.

I think a lot of these tools may come in handy when or if something happens in Hawaii and you are in need and the State/Feds can't help.

I believe the State/Federal gives you about 3 years before they expect you to turn a profit on your business. Always check with your tax adviser before you start a business or write things off as rules change often. You have to pay up front but you can deduct a lot of stuff that you just wouldn't believe. The business owners keep getting richer because they know what they can do within the law.

Take advantage of what the State and Federal Government offers you and get ready.

Be Ready, Be Prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment